For more than 15 years, National Disability Institute (NDI) has been the leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the financial health of people with disabilities.
Over 50 million people with disabilities live in the United States. One out of every four people with disabilities lives below the federal poverty level; this rate is even higher among Black, Latinx and Indigenous people with disabilities. Policies, expectations and services must change to improve the lives of people with disabilities living in poverty. NDI is leading that change.
NDI collaborates with hundreds of organizations throughout the country—from financial institutions and employers to government and community organizations—to empower people with disabilities and their families to build a better financial future.
NDI is seeking a creative and driven Communications Intern to support an outreach campaign for its Financial Resilience Center program.
The communications intern will work under the supervision of NDI’s Director of Marketing and Communications and will work directly with members of the Communications Team and Program Manager.
Estimated workload: Up to 20 hours per week.
This internship will be conducting virtually and will be compensated at a rate of $15/hour.
Financial Resilience Center:
NDI’s Financial Resilience Center (FRC) was developed to help people with disabilities navigate the health and financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Communications Intern will:
- Assist with developing and executing a Communications Plan for the Financial Resilience Center (FRC) that supports the implementation of key activities.
- Explore opportunities for community partnerships and ways that other organizations can utilize the FRC.
- Create social media posts for NDI that promote the FRC and its resources.
- Design graphics, infographics and other visual materials that will help generate interest and public knowledge of the FRC.
- Write and edit copy for email marketing and FRC newsletters.
- Create sample social media and website messaging for the FRC’s Outreach Toolkit to help community partners promote the FRC.
To understand more about the program, please visit: https://www.nationaldisabilityinstitute.org/financial-resilience-center/.
All undergraduate students are eligible to apply.
- Students should be pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Multimedia Communications, Public Relations or Marketing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Social media experience is required.
- Experience with online meetings and webinar platforms (ex. Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.) is required.
- A good eye for design and experience with publishing and design tools (Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.) is desired.
- Experience with website content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, etc.) and a basic knowledge of HTML is desired.
- Knowledge of disability-related issues, either through professional or personal experience, is desired.
Please send your resume and two writing samples, plus a 250-word pitch on why you are the right person for this internship to: firstname.lastname@example.org.