For more than 15 years, National Disability Institute (NDI) has been the leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the financial health of people with disabilities.
Over 50 million people with disabilities live in the United States. One out of every four people with disabilities lives below the federal poverty level; this rate is even higher among Black, Latinx and Indigenous people with disabilities. Policies, expectations and services must change to improve the lives of people with disabilities living in poverty. NDI is leading that change.
NDI collaborates with hundreds of organizations throughout the country—from financial institutions and employers to government and community organizations—to empower people with disabilities and their families to build a better financial future.
NDI is seeking a creative and driven Communications Intern to support an outreach campaign for its AT Loan program.
The communications intern will work under the supervision of NDI’s Director of Marketing and Communications and will work directly with members of the Communications Team and Program Manager.
Estimated workload: Up to 20 hours per week.
This internship will be conducting virtually and will be compensated at a rate of $15/hour.
Assistive Technology (AT) Loan Program:
NDI’s AT Loan Program helps people with disabilities find and afford assistive technology devices (such as hearing aids, wheelchairs and vehicle modifications) and to develop and improve their financial credit.
The Communications Intern will:
- Assist with developing and executing a Communications Plan to increase outreach and use of NDI’s AT Loan Program.
- Conduct research to identify the best channels for reaching the AT Loan Program’s target audience.
- Edit materials currently used as part of the AT loan application process to ensure messaging is consistent with outreach strategy.
- Write and edit communications copy, including blogs and news articles.
- Create messaging and content for social media.
- Assist NDI’s website manager with editing and creating content for the program’s website.
To understand more about the program, please visit: https://www.nationaldisabilityinstitute.org/financial-wellness/assistive-technology-loan-program/.
All undergraduate students are eligible to apply.
- Students should be pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Multimedia Communications, Public Relations or Marketing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Social media experience is required.
- Experience with online meetings and webinar platforms (ex. Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.) is required.
- A good eye for design and experience with publishing and design tools (Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.) is desired.
- Experience with website content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, etc.) and a basic knowledge of HTML is desired.
- Knowledge of disability-related issues, either through professional or personal experience, is desired.
Please send your resume and two writing samples, plus a 250-word pitch on why you are the right person for this internship to: email@example.com