Employment Opportunity – Communications Specialist
The Communications Specialist works closely with the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Web Manager and other NDI staff to meet the communications needs of the organization and build a better financial future for people with disabilities. The Communications Specialist should be creative, versatile and flexible with a varied range of skills, including communications and marketing, social media, digital and multimedia communications and design experience.
Location of work:
This is a full-time position located in the downtown Washington, D.C. office. This position may require additional time commitments outside of a typical workday to complete all tasks.
- Collaborate with and report to the Director of Communications and Marketing to plan and execute communications initiatives.
- Design and disseminate HTML emails via email marketing platforms.
- Assist with writing and editing communications copy, including blogs, press releases and news articles.
- Create content for all NDI social media properties, and provide monthly web and social media metrics to senior staff.
- Assist with document editing and accessibility.
- Use content management systems to assist Web Manager with updating websites and ongoing maintenance.
- Monitor and fulfill requests from staff for collateral materials for trainings, conferences and other events.
- Provide support for webinars and other online events as needed.
- Create, maintain and update ads on Google Ads platform.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Multimedia Communications, Public Relations or Marketing, or equivalent professional experience
- 3-5 years of work experience preferred in nonprofit or corporate communications, journalism, public relations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A self-starter and critical thinker with attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Experience with email marketing tools (i.e., MailChimp)
- Experience with website content management systems (i.e., Drupal, WordPress, etc.) with a basic knowledge of HTML
- Good eye for design and experience with publishing and design tools desired (i.e., Adobe Creative Suite)
- Knowledge of and experience with online public relations dashboards desired (i.e., Cision, Meltwater, Critical Mention, etc.)
- Knowledge of webinar platforms desired; experience with online meetings
- Knowledge of disability-related issues, either through professional or personal experience desired
- Knowledge of 508 compliance and accessibility standards a plus
- Experience with media outreach and media relations a plus