JOB SUMMARY: The Community Navigator Pilot Program is funded by the Small Business Administration to reduce barriers that underrepresented and underserved entrepreneurs often face in accessing the programs they need to recover, grow, or start their businesses. As a grantee of the program, NDI is seeking a Community Navigator who will be a critical part of a consortium of non-profit, government and disability-specific organizations dedicated to improving the ecosystem supporting entrepreneurs and small business owners with disabilities. The Community Navigator will help these entrepreneurs and small business owners access resources needed to develop business concepts, develop business plans, gain access to capital, receive credit counseling and other business development technical assistance. The Navigator will gather information from entrepreneurs and small business owners to make an informed connection to community agencies and resources involved in the consortium and beyond.
This position is responsible for providing outreach and follow-up services addressing the needs of entrepreneurs and small business owners with disabilities through assessment, support, connecting to resources, advocacy, system navigation, identification of system gaps and engaging community resources to fill those gaps. The Community Navigator will work to locate individuals in need of assistance and offer support to access resources and help navigate systems that might appear as roadblocks to connecting and receiving necessary supports to recover, grow or start their business. The Navigator will provide information about SBA and other business development resources within and outside the program consortium, assist in filling out business-related forms and applications, and provide advocacy. The Navigator will be a strong communicator, experienced with the unique needs of individuals with disabilities, skilled in interviewing and assessment and responsible for ongoing community resource knowledge.
The Navigator is also responsible for the day-to-day facilitation of tasks related to the federally funded program and provide assistance to the Program Director.
This is a full-time position. This position may require additional time commitments outside of a typical workday to complete all tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Including, but not limited to:
- Connect with entrepreneurs and business owners with disabilities seeking resources and support
- Complete a needs assessment on all individuals seeking assistance in an effort to develop relevant and customized connections to needed resources within and outside the program consortium
- Based on detailed knowledge of partner services, provide information and service recommendations
- Maintain regular and ongoing contact with referred individuals to track progress
- Document progress, success stories, best practices, and maintain tracking of data applicable to performance requirements
- Maintain relationships with partner organizations and ensure coordination and communication between NDI and consortium members
- Work with consortium and other partners to identify and resolve barriers to programmatic and service accessibility
- Advise on, and participate in, the development of informational publications, tools and trainings based on identified needs of entrepreneurs and small business owners with disabilities
- Participate in monthly consortium meetings and other program meetings as needed
- Assist with collection of outcome information and data as required by the program requirements
- Work with Program Director and consortium members to ensure quarterly report deadlines are met and assist in writing and producing reports due to the federal agency
- Participate in planning and implementation of workshops and special events
- Create content for marketing materials and update website as needed
- Maintain an ongoing calendar of events for the project website.
- Provide exceptional customer service while utilizing exemplary verbal and nonverbal interpersonal and professional communication skills.
- Complete other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, marketing, social science, public administration, or a related field of study preferred
- 3+ years’ experience in systems navigation, resource development and/or Small Business development and ownership
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Knowledge of community resources and services related to entrepreneurs and small businesses
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Publisher.
- Experience working with Asana or other Project Management software preferred
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Flexibility, adaptability to changing circumstances.
- Ability to seek ways to constantly improve efficiency of work processes.
- Excellent communication skills in person, in writing, by telephone, and by email; demonstrating professionalism, courtesy, and respect to a variety of audiences.
- Completes assignments in a timely manner, and appropriately evaluates own progress toward completion of work goals.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Excellent time management and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and information when requested.
- Experience with federal agency protocols a plus.
- Experience with disability policy issues or experience working with people with disabilities a plus.
- Experience with document accessibility requirements a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience. NDI offers employees a comprehensive benefits package, including a 401K and health insurance.
People with disabilities and minorities encouraged to apply. NDI is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample (no more than 5 pages) to Nicola Powis, Project Director of Community Navigator Program, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.