Looking to join a small, yet dynamic and passionate communications team? Then consider applying for the new position of Marketing and Communications Manager at National Disability Institute (NDI), a nonprofit based in Washington, D.C. that works for the financial empowerment of people with disabilities.
Our organization is growing and so is our team. We’re looking for a well-rounded and versatile MarCom person who is versed in marketing, traditional public relations and new media. The Communications Team plays a vital role at NDI and provides communications support to all of the organization’s projects. This can include creating collateral materials, social media, blogs, campaigns, website content, podcasts, webinar promotion, reports, events and so much more.
If you thrive on challenges, are creative and a stickler for detail – and want to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities – then consider joining our team. Apply today!
This position works closely with the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Web Manager, Communications Specialist and other NDI staff. This is a full-time position and may require additional time commitments outside of a typical workday to complete all tasks.
- Collaborate with and report to the Director of Communications and Marketing to plan and execute communications initiatives.
- Assist Communications and Marketing Director in developing and implementing an integrated strategic communications plan to advance NDI’s visibility of its programs and activities across key stakeholder audiences at a national, state and local level in the private and public sectors.
- Initiate and lead marketing initiatives across all NDI projects and the organization as a whole.
- Assist with writing and editing communications copy, including blogs, press releases and news articles.
- Expand media outreach opportunities and prepare talking points and supporting materials that enhance NDI visibility and impact.
- Oversee all NDI social media properties and provide social media metrics for reports. Strategize and implement social media plan.
- Work collaboratively with outside vendors/consultants including brainstorming creative ideas, ensuring timely completion of projects within budget and that all materials created are aesthetically appealing and adhere to NDI brand guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Multimedia Communications, Public Relations or Marketing, or equivalent professional experience
- 8-10 years of work experience preferred in nonprofit or corporate in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism
- Knowledge of disability-related issues, either through professional or personal experience desired
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and adaptable communication style for interacting with team members, senior management, board members and funders
- Proven track record with start-up and execution of marketing campaigns
- Time management and organization skills in order to plan and execute both large and small marketing projects and initiatives
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism, courtesy and respect to a variety of audiences
- Experience with media outreach and media relations
- A self-starter and a critical and strategic thinker
- Experience with optimizing content for search engines using keywords
- Ability to see the big picture on a macro level, and yet be detail-oriented on a micro level
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Experience with managing staff
- Experience with WordPress content management system with a basic knowledge of HTML
- Ability to complete assignments in a timely manner and appropriately evaluate own progress toward completion of work goals
- Knowledge of and experience with online public relations dashboards desired (i.e., Cision, Meltwater, Critical Mention, etc.)
- Knowledge of 508 compliance and accessibility standards a plus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and information when requested
- Planning and execution of events and promotional activities
- Experience with email marketing tools (i.e., MailChimp, Formstack)
Salary range is $70-80K. NDI offers employees a comprehensive benefits package, including a 401K and health insurance.
People with disabilities and minorities are encouraged to apply. NDI is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, two (2) writing samples (no more than five pages) and two (2) campaign samples to Gail Watson, Director of Finance, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.