Employment Opportunity – Financial Coach for Financial Engagement Study with Youth with Disabilities
National Disability Institute is seeking a creative, motivated individual with experience working directly with people with a wide range of disabilities to engage in the implementation of a “Financial Empowerment as a Gateway to Community Participation” research study. This individual will implement planned research interventions and support strategies that were developed for this project. The strategies are related to financial empowerment, employment and community participation for transition age youth and young adults with disabilities. The program/intervention provides financial education and coaching, targeted futures planning, and follow-along support to assist youth in developing and implementing financial, employment and community participation goals, in coordination with the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services and a research team. Applicant will be providing one-to-one and remote coaching to youth and young adults, tracking their accomplishments and progress. Training on the financial education curriculum, financial coaching methods, targeted futures planning and record-keeping approaches will be provided.
Location of work:
Washington, DC and three regions in the Commonwealth/State of Virginia. Applicant must be able to work at times in these different locations.
Applicants must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related disability, education, or human service field with at least 2 years of experience working directly with people with a wide range of disabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple responsibilities in a timely manner and to prioritize duties and exercise responsible judgment with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience providing training, coaching and support to people with disabilities, and their support networks.
- Knowledge and experience with Social Security benefits, work incentives and benefits planning preferred.
- Certification as a Benefits or Work Incentives Counselor or Financial Coach preferred.
- Experience in providing financial education and/or financial empowerment services (or equivalent training/coaching), and/or in conducting futures planning with people with disabilities.
- The ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and to use computer software to communicate, develop and display data in spreadsheets, and write notes and reports.
- The ability to collect and record data as required.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage schedules with different cohorts involved with the study.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze information, report to the researchers and other project staff.
- The ability to attend meetings and provide trainings in different locations in Virginia.
- Successful experience with project management.
- Computer skills to include Microsoft Office skills, and hosting virtual meetings using readily available programs (e.g., Zoom, FaceTime, Skype, etc.).