Social Security Benefits

I have a disability, am I eligible to apply for Social Security disability benefits?

The Social Security Administration (SSA) encourages people to apply directly online or to make an appointment to file by phone as soon as the person becomes disabled.

A person who has a severe physical or mental disability that has lasted, or is expected to last, for at least one year or more or result in death may apply if they also are limited in their ability to work and earn countable income of more than $1,470 a month or more than $2,460 if blind.  Unlike some organizations or government programs, SSA does not pay benefits for partial disability or for short term disability of less than 12 months.

There are two programs under which SSA pays a monthly benefit based on a disability:

The first, Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (SSDI) paid to: (1) adults (called wage earners) who are ages 18 up to full retirement age (ranges from 65-67) and have worked long enough and recently enough and paid Social Security taxes; and (2) to a wage earner’s eligible dependent children (called Childhood Disability Benefits (CDB)) age 18 and over whose disability began before age 22; or to (3) a surviving disabled widow/widower (DWB) who is ages 50-60 and meets certain technical rules of eligibility.

The second program, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits are paid to children and adults who have limited income and limited resources. The parent’s income and resources (savings) are considered for children under age 18. After age 18 the parent’s income and resources (savings) are no longer considered.

    • If the SSI applicant has more than $2,000 in countable resources, they may want to consider opening an ABLE account for depositing cash resources. ABLE savings up to $100,000 are not counted as a resource for SSI.

If you have questions about which benefit you may qualify for, you may want to telephone SSA before filing or starting the process at (800) 772-1213.

I have a disability, how do I apply for Social Security disability benefits?

There are several ways that you can apply for benefits or start the process:

  • SSDI
    • Apply Online for Disability Benefits to file the SSDI application. At this time, you cannot file for benefits as a Childhood Disability Beneficiary (CDB) or Disabled Widow Benefits (DWB)online; or
    • Schedule an appointment at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
    • In all cases, complete the Adult Disability Report online in advance. This will speed up the process.
  • SSI
    • You can get started but you cannot file the SSI application online. The link will allow you to set up your appointment to file online instead of calling the office; or
    • Schedule an appointment at 1-800-772-1213 to apply for SSI disability benefits. SSA will decide if you can come into the office to file or whether you can file by phone interview. There are in-office restrictions due to COVID. If someone is deaf or hard of hearing, they may call the toll-free TTY number 1-800-325-0778 to review their options.

Learn what you need when applying for Disability Benefits including information about yourself, about your disability condition, doctor contact information and any employment information for the last two years. Once you have applied, you can check the status of your application online or you can appeal the decision if you are denied benefits, within 60 days of getting a denial letter.

To help you get ready for your disability interview or online application, review the Disability Starter Kit.  There is a kit for adults and a kit for children.

Am I eligible for a Federal Economic Impact Payment if I receive SSI or SSDI and do not have other income?

You do not have to be earning income as an employee of a company or from any other source in addition to your Social Security payment. However, if you are listed as a dependent on someone else’s federal tax return you may not be eligible.

Lean more about the Economic Impact payment to see if you qualify.

Can an SSI recipient refuse to apply for unemployment compensation or other benefits if they might be eligible because they think they will lose their SSI and have to reapply once the payments stop?

Contact your SSA office to restart SSI when unemployment compensation stops.

How do I reach the Social Security Administration?
Are you waiting for a hearing with the Social Security Administration?

Learn more about SSA telephone and video hearings.

I received an overpayment from SSA, what should I do?

Do not ignore an overpayment notice. If you do nothing, SSA will start to collect the overpayment from your benefits.

Use this tool if you have received an overpayment notice. It is aimed at benefits planners who are helping clients with overpayment notices but you can also follow these directions on your own, or with a planner.

Where can I go to find programs to help me lead a more financially independent life?

Visit for information on disability assistance programs.

What resources are available to assist me with my utility bills?

LIHEAP ( Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program) is a federally-funded program that helps low-income households pay their home heating and cooling bills. LIHEAP agencies across the country are working to address COVID-19 and are providing resources. Customers can use these resources to stay informed about program changes in their area and not miss opportunities for assistance.

If you receive LIHEAP assistance or need assistance with utilities visit the link below to see if you are eligible for LIHEAP assistance. Click on the  LIHEAP Clearinghouse State Snapshots web page to check with your local agency to learn what changes may be occurring in your area.

Does my state allow for the online purchase of food for delivery using my SNAP benefits as payment?

Recently, some states have begun to allow authorized retailers to accept SNAP for online purchases for delivery. Only eligible food may be purchased with SNAP benefits; delivery fees and other associated charges may not be paid for with SNAP benefits. A SNAP beneficiary needs to pay delivery fees from another source such as savings or with an ABLE savings account debit card.

Learn more and find out if your state allows you to purchase food online for delivery with SNAP.

How can I find information on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) in my state?

Learn more about whether TANF is available in your state, which qualifications make you eligible for assistance and how to apply.

Are there any programs for non-citizens or refugees who do not qualify for TANF, SSI or Medicaid, but who meet income and resource standards to receive assistance?

Find assistance for eligible non-U.S. citizens.

Start typing and press Enter to search

You can help us better serve your needs by answering this short survey!